Saturday 5 September 2009

1.. in one life, and another.

My beautiful girl turned 1 this week. It was an exciting and much celebrated event, we had a party, cake, a trip to the Zoo and lots of singing. I think she enjoyed it nearly as much as me and barefoot dad did!

On her birthday night, as she had her bedtime feed I was thinking about how far she has come in her first year; from my tiny baby with no control over her limbs to a crawling, wobbly standing whirling dervish! Its been an amazing year, and she has experienced so much in that time from trying food for the first time to flying to foreign climes, and thats not to mention cuddles, stories, baths, swings, grandparents, sand.... the list goes on.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about another baby I knew, professionally. This lovely little one was born very early and to a mother who for various reasons couldn't care for him. He spent the first year of his life in a special care unit in hospital, very ill. The only time he left the hospital in the whole of his first year was to go to another hospital for operations. He had no family apart from his mother and on his birthday his only visitor was me, and barefoot Dad.

It got me thinking about all other other babies out there who don't have people to shower them with the love and affection that babin gets, and that really the simple everyday caring I do is a privilege to give and that babin is in many ways a lucky girl.

So I'm just taking this moment to my luck and privilege... and a piece of birthday cake!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment